Kabul orders U.S. special forces out of two provinces
By Agencies | 25 Feb 2013
The Afghan government demanded Sunday the withdrawal of U.S. special forces from Wardak and Logar within two weeks accusing them of fuelling “insecurity and instability” in the volatile provinces neighboring the capital Kabul.
Presidential spokesman said that the Afghan ministry of defense was asked to “kick out” U.S. troops from the two provinces mentioned.
“In today's national security council meeting, Afghan President Hamid Karzai ordered the ministry of defense to kick out the U.S. special forces from Wardak and Logar provinces within two weeks,” said presidential spokesman Aimal Faizi.
“The U.S. special forces and illegal armed groups created by them are causing insecurity, instability, and harass local people in these provinces,” he told a press conference.
Meanwhile , two Taliban suicide bombers killed three members of Afghan security forces, but a third attack in Kabul's diplomatic enclave was foiled when police shot dead the would-be assailant, officials told AFP.
The attacker in Kabul was armed with a suicide vest and his SUV was full of explosives, but police opened fire when he tried to penetrate deeper into the capital's diplomatic enclave of Wazir Akbar Khan, the officials said.
In the day's first attack, a suicide bomber rammed an explosives-laden car into a spy agency facility in the town of Jalalabad, 150 kilometers (90 miles) east of Kabul.
It was followed by a similar attack on a police base in Puli Alam, 70 kilometers south of the capital, officials said.
Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahed claimed responsibility for the attacks in Puli Alam and Jalalabad, but denied that the militant group was involved in the foiled attack in Kabul.
Authorities had earlier said that two would-be suicide bombers were killed in Kabul. But city police chief Mohammad Ayoub Salangi said only one attacker was involved, dismissing local reports that a second bomber had managed to escape.
“We have intelligence about this. The bomber was shot dead and his car bomb is defused. It's over now,” Salangi told AFP.
An AFP photographer at the scene saw a young man laying dead in a pool of blood next to his bullet-ridden car on the side of the road near a construction site. The man was shot in the head.