Source : Al Arabiya with AFP | 07 May 2013
Compensation for the victims of a 2010 Israeli raid on a Gaza-bound flotilla has been agreed on in a draft agreement reached by Israel and Turkey on Monday.
The deal was reached between Turkish officials, headed by the deputy foreign minister, and Israeli government representatives during a meeting in Jerusalem.
Source : Al Arabiya | 27 Mar 2013
Israel’s apology to Turkey over the Mavi Marmara event will lead to an altered balance in the Middle East peace process, said Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan in an address to lawmakers on Tuesday.
Israeli forces killed nine Turkish nationals aboard a vessel carrying humanitarian aid to Gaza in the 2010 incident.
A bilateral deal has been struck whereby Israel must cooperate alongside the Turkish government over the region’s peace process.
The move represents a more assertive stance for Turkey with regard to regional politics.
Source : Agencies | 24 Mar 2013
Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has said normalization with Israel will not happen unless Israel holds up with its end of the deal and implements what it promised.
“When implementation [of Israel promises] takes place, there will be normalization [between Turkey and Israel]. But if implementation does not realize, they should not take offense. We are saying it very open and clear,” Erdoğan told the cheering crowd in Eskişehir on Sunday.
Source : Anadolu Agency | 26 Dec 2012
Former Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert has suggested that he would have apologized to Turkey over the killing of nine Turks during a raid on the Mavi Marmara ship carrying humanitarian aid to Gaza.
“If I were prime minister, I would have apologized to Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and the Turkish people because civilians lost their life,” Olmert said while speaking at a conference in Tel Aviv on Tuesday.
Source : Agencies | 06 Nov 2012
A Turkish court began on Tuesday a trial of Israeli military officers in regard to a 2010 raid on the Turkish vessel Mavi Marmara, which left eight Turks and one Turkish-American dead.
Four Israeli officers former Israeli Defense Forces (IDF) Chief of General Staff Gen. Gabi Ashkenazi, Naval Forces commander Vice Adm. Eliezer Marom, Israel's military intelligence chief Maj. Gen. Amos Yadlin and Air Forces Intelligence head Brig. Gen. Avishai Levi are facing trial in absentia for the raid of the Turkish Mavi Marmara flotilla.
Source : Agencies | 27 Jul 2012
Israel has, for the first time, officially announced it is prepared to apologize to Turkey for the Mavi Marmara incident, Cihan news agency said.
“An agreement had been reached. The word ‘apology' was also present in the text,” Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesperson Yigal Palmor has said, maintaining that Turkey's demand that the Gaza blockade be lifted is what has prevented the two sides from reaching an agreement.
Source : Agencies | 25 Jul 2012
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has said Israel and its former ally Turkey must repair their relationship because of the instability in their region.
Turkey cut its once extensive ties with Israel after Israeli marines killed nine Turkish activists in May 2010 on international aid vessel trying to break Israel's siege of the Gaza Strip.
By : Bradley Klapper | AP | Washington | 04 Jul 2012
Ending a bitter seven-month standoff, US Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton apologized to Pakistan for the killing of 24 of its troops last fall and won in return the reopening of critical NATO supply lines into Afghanistan.
The agreement could save the US hundreds of millions of dollars.
Resolution of the dispute also bandages a relationship with Pakistan that will be crucial in stabilizing the region.
Source : Agencies | 03 Jul 2012
Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has told a Turkish newspaper he wished Syrian forces had not shot down a Turkish jet last month and that he would not allow the tensions between the two countries to turn into open combat.
"We learned that it (the plane) belonged to Turkey after shooting it down. I say 100 percent 'if only we had not shot it down'," the Cumhuriyet newspaper quoted Assad as saying in an interview published on Tuesday.
Source : Al Arabiya | 24 May 2012
Human rights groups in the U.S. have sent a 60,000-signature petition to the White House, urging President Barack Obama to formally apologize to Syrian-born Canadian, Maher Arar, who was deported to Syria from the U.S. under the suspicion of having links to al-Qaeda, a Canadian newspaper reported on Tuesday.
Arar, a 41-year-old telecommunications engineer, was detained during transit at John F. Kennedy International Airport in 2002 on his way home to Canada from a family vacation in Tunis.